Clos La Madeleine

It was always obvious to the eye that this domaine, sadly now disappeared, had a long history; one merely had to walk across the hillside of La Madeleine, through the vineyards of Château Ausone, Château Bélair-Monange and of course their neighbour Clos La Madeleine to see that these lands have been cultivated for centuries. Vineyards are cut into the limestone of the hill, their boundaries defined by ancient walls, and behind them age-old cellars are carved from the bedrock.

So it should come as no surprise to learn that the origin of Clos La Madeleine lies several centuries in the past.

In this profile I explore the origins of the estate and its history, right into the modern era when it was acquired by the Moueix family. Before we get to that point, however, we must look back in time to the estate’s beginnings. We look first to the first mention of the estate during the 18th century.


The earliest known proprietors were the Chatonnet family, who have been tending vines in this corner of Bordeaux for at least five hundred years. Despite this, the earliest mention of Clos La Madeleine dates only to the middle of the 18th century, as evidenced by documents held by the courtier Beylot who purchased wine here in 1770.

Clos La Madeleine

The négociant Lecoutre de Beauvais, who was also editor of Le Producteur, a journal published monthly between January 1838 and December 1841, tells us that in 1841 the estate was in the hands of the Chatonnet-Crépin family. A few years later the first edition of Cocks et Féret was published, and there were listed three vignerons working the land at La Magdelaine. These included two members of the Chatonnet family, turning out 12 and 5 tonneaux each per annum (the equivalent of 48 and 20 barrels per annum respectively), and a widow named Bon whose output amounted to 10 tonneaux (40 barrels) per annum.

Please log in to continue reading:

Subscribe Here / Lost Password