The origins of Château Haut-Marbuzet lie in the 18th century, when much of the land around the hamlet of Marbuzet in the commune of St Estèphe was in the ownership of two families. The first is a familiar name, it being none other than the nobleman Alexandre de Ségur, who held sway here until his death in 1776, when his lands were divided and sold. These lands were acquired by Marc-Antoine Domenger, who was régisseur at Latour, and subsequently gave rise to Château Le Crock, now owned by the Cuvelier family of Léoville-Poyferré, as well as Château de Marbuzet.
The MacCarthy Era
The other name, perhaps not so familiar and yet of certain interest to us here, is Sylvester Fatin, who bequeathed his lands to his daughters in 1770. In 1825 these vineyards came to the MacCarthy family, Irish immigrants that included among their number not only wine merchants but also the chairman of the Bordeaux Chamber of Commerce.Please log in to continue reading: