Château Le Boscq
The origins of Château Le Boscq can be traced back to at least the 18th century, when the land here came into the possession of Thomas Barton (1695 – 1780). Barton had arrived in Bordeaux in 1722, and by 1725 he had established himself in the region as a négociant. Initially he traded in brandy and wool, but before long he was trading in wine. After some time he began investing in vineyards; his earliest and thus one of his most significant acquisitions came in 1749, when he acquired a small vineyard named Le Boscq, on land close to the little village of Saint-Corbian, northwest of the village of Saint-Estèphe. It was a good purchase, the land rising up above the palus and the estuary beyond.
Barton was obviously a busy man, and he installed a régisseur to look after the estate. Important figures in the early history of Château Le Boscq, these were a Monsieur Blanchereau who ran the property at least until 1770, followed by a Monsieur Jean Morin.
When Thomas Barton, or ‘French Tom’ as he was known in the family, passed away in 1780 much of his estate came to his son, William Barton (1723 – 1793). He does not seem to have had a great interest in the French side of his father’s businesses, and it was a grandson named Hugh Barton (1766 – 1854) who would eventually take over. He made a great name for himself running the wine business, and his name lives on in the region through his involvement with Château Léoville-Barton and Château Langoa-Barton. Strangely, however, he does not seem to have done much with Château Le Boscq, ownership of which subsequently passed to François Xavier Eugène Majence de Camiran (1813 – 1882), Vicomte de Camiran.Please log in to continue reading: