Château Calon-Ségur: History
Like its near neighbour Château Phélan-Ségur, Calon-Ségur was once part of the great Ségur estate, a substantial domaine which at one time or another encompassed not only Lafite but also Latour and Mouton. But this was in the 18th century, by which point Calon was already ancient, having been in existence for at least five hundred years, its origins lying in the fiefdom of the Lords of Lesparre. Writing in Grands Vins (University of California Press, 1995), Clive Coates provides the earliest evidence relating to the domaine, this being the existence of a Monseigneur de Calon, a Bishop of Poitiers in 1157.
Thereafter the domaine passed through many different hands; the Gombard family held tenure here for at least three generations during the 14th century, the property then passing to the de Pomés and then the d’Albret families. Alain d’Albret gave the estate to Jéhan de Lur in 1481, before it passed through the ownership of Pierre de Marsan to Jean de Gasq. It was not until the early years of the 18th century that the much celebrated Prince des Vignes, Nicolas-Alexandre de Ségur (1697 – 1755), acquired the property, following his marriage to a Gasq heiress.Please log in to continue reading: