Château Beychevelle: The Division
The seeds that grew into Château Ducru-Beaucaillou, Château Branaire-Ducru, Château Saint-Pierre and Château Beychevelle were sown upon Bernard’s death in 1661, after which his lands were sold off in order to settle his not inconsiderable debts. In the process the estate was divided. One part was purchased by Jean-Baptiste Braneyre in 1680, and that grew to become the Château Branaire-Ducru of today. Another nearby part was the origin of Château Saint-Pierre. A third part, very near the Gironde, was the beginnings of that which we know today as Château Ducru-Beaucaillou.
The parts of the estate that were destined to become Château Beychevelle were acquired in 1674 by Henri de Foix-Candale (1640 – 1714), Duc de Rendan, a descendant of the previous owners. His major contribution to the estate seems to have been an upgrade to the château, remodelling it in a more modern style. In 1692 he then sold his lands and the seigneurie of Beychevelle to Jean-Pierre d’Abbadie (died 1717). Abbadie was an influential figure, having been président of the seconde chambre des enquêtes in the Bordeaux parliament since 1680. He held no sway over the weather though, and he was forced to replant the vineyard after a huge frost in 1709.Please log in to continue reading: