Home > Weekend Wine
My regular Weekend Wine update looks at wines which I hope, for one reason or another, will pique your interest. I don't really intend my reports to be seen as buying recommendations, but if you choose to view them that way then you should be able to find most of the featured wines for sale, somewhere, using the links at the foot of each review. Nevertheless, it is inevitable that some wines will prove difficult to track down.
Some of the wines are pulled from my cellar after many years of slumber, and may thus have disappeared from the marketplace. Others are young, and just arrived, and thus may be a little easier to find. Others are just not that well distributed though, especially those bottles I have acquired at the cellar door, or from some obscure French caviste I have encountered on my travels.
Below are my weekly choices for the current year. Expect a strong focus on Bordeaux and the Loire, these two regions being a major focus for me, but I will try (and more often than not fail) to add a little diversity, with occasional appearances from the Douro, Rioja, Champagne and the like. (14/7/06, last updated 4/1/16)
- Verdier-Logel Côtes du Forez La Volcanique 2015 (2/5/16)
- Domaine de la Perruche Coteaux de Saumur Les Rotissants 1996 (25/4/16)
- Domaine de la Pépière Clos des Briords 2014 (18/4/16)
- Château Montviel 2004 (11/4/16)
- François Pinon Vouvray Cuvée Tradition 1997 (28/3/16)
- Le Rocher des Violettes Montlouis Pétillant 2013 (21/3/16)
- Château La Marzelle 2008 (14/3/16)
- Domaine Huet Vouvray Le Haut Lieu Sec 1946 (7/3/16)
- Philippe Alliet Chinon Vieilles Vignes 2004 (29/2/16)
- Serge et Bruno Sourdais Chinon 1996 (22/2/16)
- Château Malescot St-Exupéry 1995 (15/2/16)
- Noëlla Morantin Chez Charles Sauvignon Blanc 2014 (8/2/16)
- Domaine Mosse Magic of Ju-Ju 2014 (25/1/15)
- La Ferme de la Sansonnière La Lune 2012 (18/1/16)
- Château de Beauregard Saumur Moelleux 1996 (11/1/16)
- Château Haut-Bailly 1995 (4/1/16)
For previously featured wines, see my 2015 Weekend Wine Archive.