Here I provide links to only the very best wine-related sites online concentrated into four categories; first my sponsors, and then three groupings focusing on opinion, resources and merchants. If you have a site that links to Winedoctor and which you think might be included here please email me.
For more information on these merchants see my sponsors' page.
- Eurocave UK: wine storage and wine accessories.
- Cadman Fine Wines: classic styles, up-and-coming stars, good prices.
- Maxwell Storrie Baynes: vineyard sales and advice in Bordeaux.
- Richard Dawes Fine Wine: fine wine trader with competiteve pricing.
- SmoothRed: high quality wine tours, tastings and travel.
- Wine Tours in Spain: quality wine tours of Spanish wine regions.
Self-help groups for winos! Most are free to use and merely require registration. Parker's forum, once free for all, is now hidden behind a paywall.
- UK Wine Forum: hosted by Tom Cannavan. One of the most congenial forums.
- Robert Parker's bulletin board: subscription only, and heavily moderated.
- Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts: a US-based Bordeaux community.
- Wine Berserkers: a now well-established alternative voice from the US.
- WLDG: a long-established forum run by Robin Garr.
- Wine Disorder: in-jokes and jeebuses from the US East Coast.
- Purple Pages forum: Jancis Robinson's forum. Subscription only.
- Wine Spectator forums: free-to-use forums from this leading wine publication.
- Cellar Tracker forums: on Cellar Tracker and general wine issues.
I don't try to be comprehensive, but here are a few links to sites that I have found useful or enjoyable over the years. These are personal as well as commercial and official sites.
- Bordoverview: David Bolomey's blog, mostly Bordeaux.
- Great Bordeaux Wines: Bordeaux reports from Izak Litwar.
- Les Grands Crus Classés de Sauternes et Barsac 1855: the complete guide.
- New Bordeaux: Bordeaux news and articles from Jane Anson.
- UGCB: the Union des Grands Crus de Bordeaux.
- Winemega: thorough summaries of Bordeaux vintages.
Again, not intended to be comprehensive, or a list of links to thousands of different domaines. Just a handful of sites I have found useful or enjoyable over the years. The sites listed can be commercial, official or personal.
- Jim's Loire: Jim Budd on the Loire Valley.
- Richard Kelley: a definitive guide to the wines of the Loire Valley.
- InterLoire: official site of Interprofession des Vins du Val de Loire.
- Salon des Vins de Loire: official Salon website.
- Wine Terroirs: lots from the Loire (and beyond), by Bertrand Celce.
Whether the writing is very personal and free, as in the case of many blogs, or more commercial, as with the sites of a number of established wine writers, I link to the best examples of all here.
- Jancis Robinson: wine news, recommendations and more. Subscribers only.
- The Wine Anorak: well designed, stimulating, frequently updated.
- Burgundy Report: quarterly Burgundy information from Bill Nanson.
- Invest Drinks: Jim Budd's wine investment site. Essential reading.
- Robert Parker: Notes and reviews from the Wine Advocate. Subscribers only.
- The Wine Lovers Pages: an ancient site run by Robin Garr.
- For The Love of Port: Port news, tasting notes, forum, and tours by Roy Hersh.
- Matching Food & Wine: sound advice on food and wine from Fiona Beckett.
Here are a small handful of useful links to the websites of official bodies, wine-related charities, magazines, education sites and other resources.
- Cephas: top quality wine photography from Mick Rock available to order.
- Deutsches Weininstitut: The wines of Germany.
- Drinkaware: UK charity promoting responsible drinking.
- INAO: The Institut National des Appellations d'Origine.
- Decanter: leading UK magazine.
- Spectator: leading US wine and lifestyle magazine.
- Wine & Spirit Education Trust: certificates, diplomas and the MW examinations.
These websites belong to merchants based in the UK or who deliver to the UK. Most sell solely wine, but one or two are concerned with wine-related paraphernalia including books, glassware, wine storage, wine travel and more. For links to my sponsors, see the listing at the top of the page or see my information for Winedoctor sponsors.
- A & B Vintners: specialise in the Rhône Valley and Burgundy.
- Albany Portfolio Management: wine investment with Albany Vintners.
- Berry Bros & Rudd: huge stock list, well known traditional merchant.
- Bibendum: traditional merchant.
- Big Red Wine Company: Rhône specialist, but other regions covered too.
- Bordeaux Index: trading in Bordeaux wines, and much more.
- Bordeaux Wine Investments: fine wine specialists.
- The Cardinal’s Cellar: fine wine, by the bottle or by the case.
- Caviste des Vins de Loire: French online merchant specialising in Loire wines.
- Cellar Tours: gourmet wine tours in Spain in Portugal (US/Ireland).
- Nick Dobson Wines: specialises in Burgundy, Germany Switzerland.
- Earle Wines: Yorkshire-based wine merchant.
- Edencroft: Nantwich-based wine merchant with fine tastes.
- Farr Vintners: minimum order £500, keenly priced wines by the case.
- Fine & Rare Wines Ltd: Extensive stock of all styles of wine.
- Four Walls Wine: a huge selection of fine and mature styles.
- Frazier's: family-run independent based in Solihull.
- Handford Wine: based in Holland Park, London.
- Karl Kerler: German merchant with a broad selection.
- Lay & Wheeler: part of the Majestic empire since 2009.
- Lea & Sandeman: broad list, plenty of offers, good service.
- Majestic: national chain. Easy to use site. Regular tastings.
- Millesima: Bordeaux-based merchant trading in all fine wines.
- Millesimes: French fine-wine specialist.
- Noel Young Wines: wine list in various formats, other features too.
- Peter Wylie Fine Wines: wines from classic regions, including older vintages.
- RF Vintners: some good wines available here.
- Howard Ripley: wonderful wines from Germany and Burgundy here.
- Roberson: London merchant with a good tasting programme.
- Seckford Wines: quality stock list.
- Slurp: online merchant/broker.
- Stone, Vine & Sun: brilliant list, strong on terroir and quality.
- Uncorked Cellar: cellar management software.
- Valvona & Crolla: nice site, Italian specialist.
- Wickman's Fine Wine Auctions: Australian wine auctions.
- Wineandco: Bordeaux-based trader. Prices in Euros and UK sterling.
- Wine Curators: consultation on buying and storing wine.
- Winedirect: online merchant with a broad range and international delivery.
- Wine Gift Centre: corkscrews, glasses, decanters and more.
- The Wine Society: co-operative society for members only.
- Wines of Interest: varied selection from Ipswich-based retailer.
- Wine Wall: purveyor of unique wine storage units.
- Woodwinters: a Scottish merchant really going places.
- Yapp: a long-time favourite with the discerning British wine buyer.
Placement of a link of The Winedoctor does not constitute an endorsement of a commercial website. Always ensure a company is reputable before placing an order.